USPS Announces 2017 Postage Rate Increase
The U.S. Postal Service has officially proposed new postage rates for select USPS mailing & shipping services to be implemented on Sunday, January 22, 2017, if approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC).
Here are some highlights of the USPS Postage Rate increase for 2017:
- Global Express Guaranteed – Overall, postage prices will rise by 4.9% across all weights & zones.
- Priority Mail Express International – No proposed changes to postage prices in 2017.
- Priority Mail International – No proposed changes to postage prices in 2017. Service features may change in 2017, as PMI shipments bearing a designated barcode & dispatched to select destination countries will receive a scan upon delivery in lieu of a signature.
- First Class Package International Service – No proposed changes to postage prices in 2017.
USA Domestic Shipping:
- Priority Mail Express – Overall rates will increase by 3.4%.
- Priority Mail Express Flat Rate – All Priority Mail Express Flat Rate products will see an increase in pricing. Increases will vary depending on the type of product.
- Priority Mail – Average increase of 3.9%.
- Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes & Envelopes – Postage rates will increase across the board in 2017.
- Priority Mail Regional Rate – Postage will increase for most Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes in 2017. No change in postage for a Regional Rate Box A going to Zone 5. Postage price will decrease by $0.49 for a Regional Rate Box A being shipped to Zone 8.
- First Class Package Service – Overall rates will increase by 4.1%.
- Parcel Select Ground – Rates will increase by 2.7%. Although, rates for some weight & zone groupings will actually decrease.
USPS Mailing Services:
Does not include Shipping Services (First Class Package Service, Priority Mail & Priority Mail Express).
- First-Class Mail Letters (1 oz.) – Rates are increasing from $0.47 to $0.49.
- Metered Mail – Rates are decreasing from $0.465 to $0.46
- First-Class Mail Flat – Rates are increasing from $0.94 to $0.98.
- First-Class Mail Parcels (Retail) – Overall price increase of 0.624%. Postage rate for parcels weighing between 0-4 ounces will be the same at $2.67. Additional ounce price will decrease by 1 cent from $0.19 to $0.18.
- First-Class Mail International – No proposed changes to postage prices in 2017.
- Adult Signature Service – Will become available for purchase with First-Class Mail Parcels (Retail). Post Office prices will start at $2.67 for a 1 ounce parcel.
- Media Mail – Overall price increase of 1.135%.
Other Mailing Service Changes:
- Standard Mail – Will be rebranded as USPS Marketing Mail, to better align the product name with business owners’ use of the mail class.
- Library Mail – Overall price increase of 1.135%.
- Special services like Certificate of Mailing, Collect on Delivery, Return Receipt, Registered Mail and Signature Confirmation will also see an increase in 2017.
No Action Needed For Access Worldwide Customers
Once the rates are approved by the PRC, Access Worldwide will automatically update all rates accordingly during our annual 2017 rate update. If you are an Access Worldwide customer, no additional actions are needed and you should expect to receive an email notification with your new rates in January 2017.